Explore Life Stages
**All in-person Lenten activities and events have been suspended. You can still worship with us Wednesday nights online and on Facebook, though!**
Draw the Circle
The 40-Day Prayer Challenge
Have your prayers become stagnant? Do you long to see God move in fresh ways? Are you ready to move to new places in your walk with God? If so, it’s time to take the 40-day prayer challenge and press into God like never before! This Lenten season, we invite you to pray. We want to bring you into a relationship with Jesus Christ through prayer.
Lenten Worship Schedule
Wednesday, February 26 - Ash Wednesday
Wednesday, March 4 - Drawing a Circle
Wednesday, March 11 - Dream Big
Wednesday, March 18 - Pray Hard
Wednesday, March 25 - Think Long
Wednesday, April 1 - The Ripple Effect
Lenten Discipleship Engagement Opportunities
You are invited to participate in the following events this Lenten season to help grow your faith through prayer.
- Based on Mark Batterson’s book Draw the Circle.
- If you already subscribe to First Lutheran’s Daily Email Devotions, you are automatically subscribed.
- If you currently do not subscribe to the Daily Email Devotions and would like to receive the Lenten Devotions, sign-up by visiting flcfargo.org and selecting Daily Devos on the top right menu. Or fill out the sticky note on your weekly bulletin (drop it in the offering plate or at the church Welcome Desk) and you will be added.
10 a.m. Daily Prayer Time
- Take time each day at 10 a.m. for prayer.
- Join the staff at 10 a.m. Monday-Thursday in the Chapel for prayer time. The staff will be reflecting on the prayer requests received through the congregation’s input from the Lenten Prayer Request Cards that will be distributed at all services during Lent.
Draw the Circle Bible Study
- Wednesdays, March 4-April 7, 7 p.m., Fellowship Hall, led by Pr. Stephanie Tollefson and Pr. Marty Tollefson.
- Five-session study based on Draw the Circle, Taking the 40-Day Prayer Challenge by Mark Batterson.
- First 40 participants receive the study materials for free.
- Register Here or at the First Lutheran Welcome Desk.
Learn about Prayer through Film
- Tuesday, March 10, 6:30 p.m.
- War Room (PG, for youth and adults)
- New Celebration Center
- Filled with heart, humor, and wit, War Room follows Tony and Elizabeth Jordan, a couple who seemingly have it all—great jobs, a beautiful daughter, their dream home. But appearances can be deceiving. In reality, their marriage has become a war zone and their daughter is collateral damage. With guidance from Miss Clara, an older, wiser woman, Elizabeth discovers she can start fighting for her family instead of against them. As the power of prayer and Elizabeth’s newly energized faith transform her life, will Tony join the fight and become the man he knows he needs to be? Together, their real enemy doesn’t have a prayer.
- Prince of Egypt (PG, for the younger kids)
- BibleMax Theatre
- Egyptian Prince Moses learns of his identity as a Hebrew and his destiny to become the chosen deliverer of his people.
- Nursery and Noah’s Ark activity/play center will be staffed and ready to entertain the young children.
- Popcorn and beverages will be served.
Walk the Labyrinth
- Wednesday, March 18, Open from 5:30-9 p.m.
- Labyrinth walking is an ancient practice used by many different faiths for spiritual centering, contemplation, and prayer. Entering the serpentine path of a labyrinth, you walk slowly while quieting your mind and focusing on a spiritual question or prayer.
- A labyrinth will be set-up in the New Celebration Center and everyone is invited to walk, pray and experience the uniqueness of the labyrinth.
Pacem in Terris Prayer Retreat
- Friday-Sunday, March 20-22
- Pacem in Terris (Peace on Earth) is a Franciscan Center of Spirituality called to serve God’s people through prayer by providing the opportunity to retreat into the silence and solitude of a simple hermitage environment.
- Isanti, Minnesota, $220, carpool from First Lutheran, up to 10 participants
- Reserve by calling Pacem at 763.444.6408. Questions? Rollie, email@example.com or 701.235.7389.
Walking Prayer Marathon
- Saturday, April 4, 9-11 a.m.
- The life of faith is a marathon. The ups, the downs, and the plateaus in our prayer life are a reflection of this race. And just as in a marathon we need to keep running (and walking), so we keep praying. The point is: Don’t give up! That is God’s encouragement too. The apostle Paul said, “pray continually” (1 Thess. 5:17), “keep on praying” (Rom. 12:12 nlt), and “devote yourselves to prayer” (Col. 4:2). All of these statements carry the idea of remaining steadfast and continuing in the work of prayer.
- Water, coffee, and breakfast bars will be provided to fuel you on a prayer walk around downtown Fargo.
- A walking route map and prayer idea list will be provided. Your job is to walk and pray. A walking route indoors throughout the church will also be available for those desiring to be indoors.
Kids at First Grades 1-4
- Kids learn how to take prayer requests and pray them during large group time.
Preschool-High School Kids
- Make prayer walls in the classroom areas
- Jewelry making and sales (prayer necklaces)
- Share your prayers with the staff using the Lenten Prayer Request cards attached to church bulletins at services this Lenten season.
- Each household will receive a copy of Draw the Circle by Mark Matterson